Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

The Master Degree

There are several types of master’s degrees related to the field of mental health. The following video will give you more information about what kinds of master’s degrees are available and why you might pursue one type of master’s degree over another. Here are a few to consider:

  • Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) or Master of Science in Social Work (M.S.S.W.)
  • Master in Family Therapy (M.F.T.) or Master in Marriage and Family Therapy (M.M.F.T.)
  • Master of Arts (M.A.) or Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
  • Master of School Counseling (this type of degree can either be a Master of Arts, Master of Science, or Master of Education)
  • Master of Arts or Science in General Psychology (this type of degree does not typically lead to “licensure”)

For more information on licensure, please click here:

Curious about online programs? Please click here: